Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I'm back from Riga!


Some of you have wondered where I have been hiding lately. I have not been very faithful in my blogging the last couple of weeks. One of the main reasons is of course that school has started and I am working very hard. When I get home I feel so drained that I have absolutely NOTHING interesting to share... Scary!

This last week I have spent with my colleagues in Riga, Latvia. For those of you who do not know where Latvia is - here's a map:
As you can see it's not too far away from my home country of Norway.

Latvia was part of the Soviet Union until 1991. Over the last few years there has been an incredible economical development and it is now a very modernized society. In 2004 Latvia joined the EU and NATO. Walking around in the historic part of Riga you still feel that this nation has a very diverse and interesting past. Riga was founded in 1201 and some of the cobblestone streets look like they are from the set of a movie.


The parks in the centre of Riga are absolutely beautiful. We spent several hours doing fun team-building tasks in this area.

There are some great shopping possibilities in Riga as well, and my credit card was more outside my wallet than inside. Shoes, shoes, shoes! How can a girl resist? The prices: quite reasonable (but not cheap)

Of course we had to try Latvian food and what better place to do it than Lido Restaurant? It's one of those places that you have to visit - just for the experience.

At night it seemed that the Old Town of Riga was just buzzing. There were people everywhere, live music, good food and fun places to hang out.
All in all I found Riga a great place to visit for a few days.

Now I'm just hoping that my inspiration will start to come back...

13 comments:

Suburban prep said...

I went to the Balkan area with my father 4 1/2 yrs ago. I thought it was so beautiful. Some of the places we went were St. Petersburg, Talnin, Helsinki, Oslo. (We were on a Balkan Sea cruise). I was very fortunate to be able to spend time in such a beautiful part of the world. These photos are gorgeous.

Les Cotrions said...

Welcome back! Riga is on my list of places to visit! It looks gorgeous!!!
I'm sure your creativity will come back soon!
Happy day!
Vale

y u l z said...

such a beautiful place ~ I really miss travelling. . anyway ~ welcome back :D

Joanna Jenkins said...

I've never been to Latvia or that part of the world. It's stunning. Thanks for the tour.
xo

Les Cotrions said...

I've received the magazine just now!!! I hadn't the time to see it yet....just come from work! Later I'll relax reading it! I understand you...in these days I'm not very creative...it's been a very long and hot Summer and I feel empty too! Surely we'll recover energies very sson...I hope! Thanks again for the nice giveaway!
Big hugs and take care!
Vale

Brittany said...

Absolutely beautiful! I'm adding this on my "wish list" of places to visit! :)

tracy said...

Hey Dreamgirl
Iam home too.
Your trip looked great... not to mention colorful,wow!
Come see the cottage we stayed in,and meet the family.Talk to you soon
love Tracy(Gracie)

Domestic Diva said...

Once again your pictures are STUNNING! I wish we could live closer...think of all the fun we could have! Welcome back to blogging. I am taking a blog/facebook break, but I had to see what you were up to. Hugs to the fam and dad!

Vivienne said...

Amazing pictures, it looks beautiful!
Happy SITS saturday sharefest :)

Kristen said...

Beautiful. I am relaxed just looking at the pics!

ItsKelly said...

Riga looks absolutely amazing! I'm so jealous/happy for you. :)

marc7177@hotmail.com said...

looks such a gr8 place to visit.... cant w8 to go next year as i have booked a holiday there for a week then off to estonia for a week

Unknown said...

Hey Friend...
I like your blog..enjoying reading it ... thankx...

Powered by IP2Location.com