Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My first time on a sailboat and a little history lesson from WW2


I feel embarrassed to admit it. I'm 40 and have never sailed until yesterday... I have been aboard sailboats, but never actually sailed. Yesterday I was invited by friends to spend the day in their beautiful sailboat and I had a blast. It was just a perfect day!

Leaving Hvitsten

Let's raise those sails

Arriving at Oscarsborg, a 350 year old fortress in the Oslo fjord.

Oscarsborg has such an interesting history that I want to share a small portion of it with you all. So here is today's history lesson:

The 9th of April 1940 the german heavy cruiser Blücher sailed through the Oslo fjord not stopping after warning shots further out. Watching the ship approach the commander at Oscarsborg, colonel Birger Erikesen, made the most important decision in norwegian military history. He did not have time to consult his superiors. He did not act on an order, but decided that the large german warship gliding through the water had to be stopped. He gave the order to strike with full force even though Norway was not at war. He had no time to check the nationality of the ship, but gave the order to fire. Blücher sunk, the conquest of Oslo was delayed, the king and government managed to escape and about 1000 soldiers died in the cold waters of the fjord. Nazi-Germany lost one of its most powerful war machines at sea.

What a difference ONE man can make!

One of the canons at the fortress.

The view of the Oslo fjord from the fortress is awesome.

At sea even the simplest lunch tastes like a gourmet meal.

Relaxing.

Back at Hvitsten

Saying goodbye!

11 comments:

Tiffany said...

Wow. How beautiful!! Living in Nebraska you don't get those views as much :)

I loved the history lesson. Very cool.

From SITS

tinahead81 said...

those pictures are beautiful! i've never been sailing, maybe one day, i'll get a chance! thanks for stopping by! :o)

Kaci said...

Beautiful pictures!! I feel like I was sailing along with you!! :) Thanks for stopping by my blog! XOXO

tracy said...

I have not had the opportunity to sail yet.The views are beautiful,and I love history...you bet one person can make a difference,horray for Colonel Erikesen.
Gracie

NordicPer said...

I am so glad you got to go on this trip... Wish I could have been with you!
Love you!

Pretty Zesty said...

That looks like such a fabulous time. I've never sailed either!

Michelle said...

I'm glad you had a good time. I get sea sick so I don't like sailing!!

You got some beautiful pictures.

Nicole said...

Wow it looks like you guys had a great time! Sailing is so much fun and addicting after awhile:) No tolls, no highways, no crazy drivers, its the best!

Alicia said...

i've never been sailing either! but the pics were amazing! and you look like you had an awesome day!!

Michelle said...

I had to come back and tell you how hard I laughed when I read your quote about will power. Too fuuny!

Amy said...

I have never been on a sail boat. Love the lunch. Pretty pictures you shared.

Powered by IP2Location.com