Monday, September 28, 2009

Nantucket Lobster Chowder

Autumn is here and every day nature is changing. Bring your camera when you are out walking and take lots of pictures. I took this picture when we had a picnic at Sagvollen in Hadeland, Norway.

After a long walk in the woods it's time for some comfort food. This soup is easy and wonderful - my favorite combination!

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 8 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup Chardonnay
  • 2 (3/4-pound) fresh or frozen, thawed lobster tails
  • 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
  • 1 pound small red potatoes, cubed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream

Preparation

Melt butter in a 6-quart Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in broth and wine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, cut top and bottom lobster shells lengthwise down the middle. Carefully separate shell halves, and gently pull lobster meat in 1 piece from shells. Cut shell halves in half crosswise, and add to broth. Cut meat in half lengthwise, then slice it crosswise into bite-size pieces. Refrigerate meat.

When shell mixture has simmered 20 minutes, add corn, potatoes, salt, and cayenne pepper. Return mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 12 minutes. Remove shells, and discard.

Add lobster meat, chives, and tarragon to broth mixture; simmer 6 minutes. Stir in cream, and cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.


Serve it with fresh bread and a nice glass of Chardonnay. Perfect!

The recipe is from Coastal Living Magazine.

14 comments:

Theta Mom said...

Soup is the BEST comfort food!!! That looks like a great recipe, too. Thanks so much for stopping by from SITS. Glad you did because now I found your blog. :) Look forward to reurning.

The Expatresse said...

Oooh. Delicious.

Les Cotrions said...

What a stunning landscape! The soup looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Happy new week!
Vale

Crystalin Dunn said...

Amazing photo-are you into photography? Mmmmm, your lobster chowder is making my mouth water! Thanks for the eye candy, and thanks for your comment at my blog! Both your blogs are absolutely gorgeous.

titti73 said...

I love the world around you. Simply wonderfull. Sorry for my english: I'm italian. Happy new week. Titti

Amy said...

That looks so yummy on such a cold day...

My name is Riet said...

I love soup, any soup and yours looks delicious

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! This sounds to-die-for!

scrappysue said...

yuuuuuuuuuuuum!!! i love chowder! thanks for stopping by!

Michelle said...

oh, the weather just cooled down today so that soup sounds really good.

Kelly said...

Looks so great! I love making soup this time of year.

Mesina said...

Oooh that soup looks divine! Just wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog earlier. Lovely that you took the time to comment and I thought I'd pay your blog a visit! It's gorgeous! What a lovely photo from Norway. I'm American, but live in the UK, my other half is Dutch so we get to spend a little time in Holland here and there. I relate to your finding a home in another country, I'm pretty Euro-fied now! x

Nicole @ WhenDidIBecomeMyMom.com said...

Oh my goodness that sounds decadent and delicious!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. :-)

Angela said...

This sounds amazing! I love all things autumn, and in Hawaii, there's not much autumn to speak of. There is however, lobster. So I'm thinking of whipping up a batch!

Thanks for sharing!
Angela from Angela's Soliloquy

WE SITS HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER!

Powered by IP2Location.com