Monday, September 21, 2009

Words of Affirmation


Mark Twain once said “I can live for two months on a good compliment.” Verbal appreciation speaks powerfully to persons whose primary Love Language is “Words of Affirmation.” Simple statements, such as, “You look great in that dress,” or “You must be the best baker in the world! I love your oatmeal cookies,” are sometimes all a person needs to hear to feel loved. A little love note can be enough to fill their "love tank" to the brim.

We all enjoy encouraging and uplifting words, but for some people it is through words they feel loved and the way they show love. If you know someone who is always very good at complimenting, encouraging and praising the people around them, it's likely their Love Language is Words of Affirmation. If you want to make them feel loved and good about themselves, say something nice and heartfelt to them.

Contrastingly, insults can be very damaging. People who's primary love language is Words of Affiramation will feel extremely hurt by harsh comments or unfeeling remarks.

Of course most of us speak more than one Love Language. We appreciate all of the different ways of showing love, but usually there will be one or two of them that will be more important to us.

To learn more about the Love Languages see previous post and follow me the next few days.

12 comments:

Connie said...

Thank you for your visit today, sugar, but especially for leaving a comment. Aren't those desserts wonderful? Why be good when those look so yummy?! Hah..... I doubt I'd eat one of those, just too beautiful, but I'd love the ability to MAKE one of them!
xoxo,
Connie

Ecko said...

Thats is very true. The Word of Affirmation is powerful!!

Hug Ecko

Mollye said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am new to yours but found it to be both beautiful and so interesting. How true that we are all so different in what we need to make us feel loved and wanted and even in my family soome of my children can be wounded to the core by harsh words and others just can shrug them off as not really too important. Thanks for sharing.

Joanna Jenkins said...

“I can live for two months on a good compliment.” I've never heard that quote before but it's VEYR true.
Lovely post. I'll be back again soon.
xo

Alettesiriane said...

Hei på deg!Vi var i Spania nettopp og eg var syk med bekkenløsning.Eg ble så mye bedre der og min mann merket det.Han der og da kjøpte et hus dernede!Det er kjærlig omtanke det!

Darlene said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I love those simple words to "fill your love tank". Great post!!♥

He & Me + 3 said...

I enjoy that book. Our words carry much power both for good and bad.
Thanks for stopping by my blog today. How did you stumble on it?

Amy said...

Wow words can be so powerful....

Carol said...

Hi there! I'm so glad you found my blog and left a comment. If you win my giveaway, I will do my best to get those books to you. I'll have to see and make sure shipping doesn't cost an arm and a leg as we say in the U.S.

How did you find my blog? I like to blog hop and find great blogs. Glad you enjoyed your visit as I have to your blog.

My husband and I did the "5 Love Languages" about 10 years ago and it is a great book. It is a blessing to know how to love and be loved in the language that speaks most to each of us.

Many blessings to you,
Carol

Anonymous said...

loving your pink post this post and yesterdays looks really interesting i really must try to compliment my husband more
have a fab week

Val

Alettesiriane said...

Vi kjøpte!!!!Der og då, i Alicante .Dette blir gøy!

KEE said...

Love this post.
Thanks for visiting.
I think sometimes we get so caught up in our own circumstances and forget that it only takes a moment, a word, even a smile to turn someones day around!
So glad I found your blog or you found mine lol

Powered by IP2Location.com